Tuesday, May 22, 2012

This Is a day to rejoice and be glad in...

This is the day the LORD hath made, I will rejoice and be glad in it!

With my cold cup of coffee in one hand and an opened bag of yellow onion bulbs in the other, I ventured outside for a little garden time.  Now, I live in a city, in a fairly quiet little community, in a suburb.  There is a hospital, a firehouse, a school and a river with all its trades nearby.  Because of these establishments there comes a great deal of man made  sounds: sirens, alarms followed by sirens, school children's laughter and playful screaming while waiting for the bus and then there are the foghorns and traffic from the bridges that cross this river.  I am quite used to these sounds and even find comfort in some of them.  (I love the sound of the tugs' foghorns and laughing children..)

Anyway, this morning has been quite a gift from God.  On my backyard venture I was met with....quiet.  A few birds chirping, a couple of squirrels scurrying down from the old trees for their morning meal of birdseed and a mallard flying in for the same cuisine, but still...quiet.  






My world, even for only a short time today, is filled with the most soothing morning fog imaginable.  The cool morning air is so filled with sweetness that I can almost taste it.  The cardinals, titmouse, chickadees, gray squirrels and the lone mallard male seem to be enjoying this lightly jacketed morning as much as I am.  This is a day to rejoice and be glad in....truly it is.

It is so nice to be able to go out into my backyard.  I would love to have a covered area where I can sit, read, craft and sip whatever it is that I feel like sipping.  I do not have the finances to build what I see in my mind's eye, but I do have a weathered old picnic table with an umbrella.  My husband knows of my wish so he cut a hole in the middle of the ol' gray thing and now I have a nice shaded place to sit, read, craft and sip whatever it is that I feel like sipping.



It is nothing fancy but we are making the most of what God has given us.  (Not only it is a place to sit, read..etc..it is a wonderful gardening table.  There have been many a repotting and plant starting done on my old weathered friend.) 

I love going out in the morning and doing my gardening work.  Weeding is much easier because the soil is usually moist from the dew and of course, the weeds just pull right up.  And having mornings like this morning everything done in my garden is pleasurable.  I did plant some more onion bulbs.  I like to stagger my plantings so I can enjoy fresh onions throughout the summer and even into the fall.

My little raised beds are doing fairly well.  The blooms are coming on...so God is at work as usual.



The cucumbers, yellow squash, zucchini, bell peppers all have yellow or white plumage beginning.  I am hoping to put up sweet pickles, dill pickles, sweet pickle relish and dilly beans this summer.  Of course, I am also hoping for lots of jams and fruits to put up soon, but for the present they have to come from the surrounding farms and orchards. I do love to can my own foods! 

This week, actually starting today, the Beale Bungalow dejunking will begin.  I have done all I can do in my gardens, so now it is time to get busy inside.  I have a plan...I call it my "Bojangles' Plan"; I will explain that tomorrow. 

Well, it is time to run a load of laundry, get the house straightened and have my second cup of coffee (hot this time)...then the dejunking begins.

Rejoicing in His day,
Sharon 



                    

No comments:

Post a Comment