Friday, June 29, 2012

Vines and bounty....


After a long wait...finally blooms have begun.  I love greenbeans!  These vines have been watered, composted, talked to and prayed over; finally progress is visible.

One could learn a great deal by just reading God's Word and working a garden.  I mean, there are so many references concerning life throughout the Word of God.  I know that during biblical times an agrarian society was the norm, but it amazes me that no matter how much time has occurred...nothing has changed.  One still needs to place a seed in the soil to reap a bountiful reward, and God's Word is the same yesterday and today and tomorrow.

I say all this to report that bounty is beginning to be reaped (in more ways than one) here at the Beale Bungalow.  After much prayer and petitioning God--Anna and Will are getting some of Will's VA benefits and SSI will start soon, as well.  They had to live through the vining process and now they are seeing blooms.  Praise God!  

I need to remember this agricultural and biblical lesson as I live out my life in the daily's of living.  I mean...training Seth takes time; he needs to vine out and bloom--I need to be obedient and patient  (Proverbs 22:6--"Train up a child in the way he should go; even when he is old he will not depart from it.")  Our financial status takes time; I need to "make the most of what God has given me.  (Matthew 6:25-34--"Therefore I tell you, do not be anxious about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink, nor about your body, what you will put on. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothing?"...etc.) 

I need to stay ingrafted in the vine no matter what the circumstances! (John 15-"I am the true vine, and my Father is the vinedresser"...etc.)  Yep, one can learn a great many truths just by reading God's Word and tending a garden.

Yesterday was a day of canning!  I thoroughly enjoyed it. First....


There were cherries, sugar, vanilla and brandy!  According to the recipe in MaryJane's magazine--I needed to heat 4 cups of brandy to dissolve 3/4 cups of sugar.  No boiling, just heat to lukewarm status. The alcohol is not to be boiled out.  Remove from heat and add the teaspoon of vanilla.  Wash the cherries and place one by one (complete with stems and seeds) into clean mason jars.  Pour brandy mixture over cherries.  Put a lid on the jar...shake gently and then place in the refrigerator.  These will keep up to a year.


Are they not beautiful?  Such a rich red color!  I had some of the brandy mixture left over, so I added extra sugar and I am going to let it sit for a bit...this will make a fantastic cough syrup!  Remember...making the most of what God has given me!!  :)

Next was my Pickle Relish!


After chopping for 2 hours, then soaking in water with 1/4 cup of salt for 4 hours, drained, then simmered for ten minutes in 2 cups of white vinegar, 3 1/2 cups of sugar, 1 Tbspn each of celery seed and mustard seed--my relish was ready to can.  This is the first of several cans that I wish to do of this recipe throughout the season.  YUMMY!

I cannot stand store bought relishes, pickles, jams and such--not since I have been making my own.  My guys do not care for store bought either...once you make the fresh real thing..you never want to go back!  :)

My day was filled with canning, gardening, good books and children's laughter all day...I loved it!

Sharon




   









No comments:

Post a Comment