Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Potato soup with sausage....

Last night I made a delicious soup for supper.  It was quick and easy.  I got the recipe from an Amish cookbook that my mom gave me years ago.  I thought I would share the recipe with you this morning.



Potato Soup with Sausage

Ingredients:

6 cups of potatoes, diced  (I used 8 cups)
1/2 medium onion, chopped  (I used 1 whole onion)
1 tsp of celery leaves  (I used all the celery heart leaves)
Parsley
1/2 lb. sausage  (I used 1 lb. of Jimmy Dean sausage)
2 cups of milk or cream (I used milk)
1 Tbsp of cornstarch
Salt and Pepper to taste (I used a lot of pepper)
Garnish with cheese (I used cheddar)

Cook potatoes and onions in a pot of water.  Fry sausage.  When potatoes are almost done add celery leaves, parsley and sausage.  Mix cornstarch and milk and add to the potatoes.  Bring to a full boil and boil for two minutes. (I did not do the boiling part.  I was afraid I would scorch the milk.  I just let the soup simmer while the table was being set and ice placed in glasses.)

That was it and it was really yummy! This was a perfect dish for such a cold wintery day.  My son gave it a 10.  My husband an 8.  (He is not too keen on potato soups of any sort and to get an 8 was a good thing.)    Let me know if you try it.

According to the weather forecast last evening--today is supposed to be the coldest day since 2010.  Yikes!  Maybe I should have made this soup tonight instead of last night.  Oh well, I will have a nice hot supper tonight, too.  I haven't decided what it will be but it will be hot!!! 

My knee is still terribly tender and I am walking with a limp to prevent further injury, so today will be a slow one.  A little chore done...rest...another chore done...rest....a schooling lesson done...rest.  Sigh...  I am hoping that this little problem well resolve itself soon.  Ice packs alternating with a hot wheater heater will continue.  I am thinking of doing an epsom salt poultice today, too.  I will let you know how that goes.

I do have a load of laundry to do, as well as, some vacumming.  Hmm...maybe my son can use some practice with the Oreck?  

Sharon 


No comments:

Post a Comment