Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Two Hour Tuesday...

Today is a Two Hour Tuesday.  I haven't had one in a while.  This is when I see my husband for about two hours.  He goes to his men's prayer group on Tuesdays and my son and I are alone. 

So, what are we doing on this once in a while Two Hour Tuesday.  Well, my son is over a friend's house playing and he is 1 hour and 15 minutes late checking in.  The Child Training Bible will be used when he arrives home.




This is a wonderful!  First, I will pray for kindness before talking with him.  Then I will go to the "Disobedience" tab or the "Not Listening" tab...read all the scriptures that have been highlighted.  I always do a little explaining along with the reading.  Next, Jesus examples...questioning his understanding and then pray.....  This usually leaves my son in such a repentent state that I just let the Holy Spirit take over.  This is a fantastic --train the heart of your child--tool.

Anyway, the rest of the day was chopping, laundry, vacuuming and making supper. 

I made my Sweet Pickle Recipe.  Here is how I did it...

INGREDIENTS: Part 1
4 cups of finely chopped cucumbers
3 cups of finely chopped celery
1 cup of finely chopped green bell pepper
1/2 cup of finely chopped red bell pepper

So, I chopped and chopped and chopped...


Next, I placed all the chopped veggies into a large bowl, covered it all with cold water and 1/4 cup of salt.  This will set for 4 hours.



After 4 hours...I drain all the veggies.  Do not rinse off the salt, but press all the liquid out.


By now, I have my mason jars washed in soapy water with a small amount of clorox, rinsed well and boiling in my canner.

IINGREDIENTS: Part 2
In a separate pan...I use my jelly pot...add:
2 cups of white distilled vinegar
3 1/2 cups of sugar
1 Tablespoon of celery seed
1 Tablespoon of mustard seed 
(I usually add a little extra)
Bring this mixture to a boil while stirring to dissolve the sugar.


This is the way it should look.  It is sweet!  When the unrinsed veggie mixture is added...the sweet and salty seem to just balance out.

Add the veggies and simmer for 10 minutes.  Then pack into clean jars, leaving 1/2 inch headspace.  (I always wipe the lip of the jar with the rag I washed them with.  This has just a small amount of clorox for disinfecting and making sure nothing will hinder my seal.) 


Then place seals and rings on the cleaned filled mason jars and place them back into the canner.


Finally, lower the rack back down into the hot water and bring back to a boil.  Once the boil is achieved..process for 10 minutes. 

 Carefully remove the jars from the water bath and let cool on a towel covered surface.  Listen for the "POP!" of the lids.  This means they have sealed.  Sometimes, I don't hear a seal, but the lids do not give when pressed...this is another sign they are sealed.


I doubled this recipe, so I got 6 pints and a quart of syrup for the next batch.  Yummy!! 

Well, that was pretty much my day other than watering the garden--having a small meeting with a friend about food for an upcoming youth fundraiser--cleaning the bathroom and folding clothes.  A simple day, really.

Oh! and I learned a few things about "community", but that is for another time.

Sharon



No comments:

Post a Comment